Pages

Saturday, 17 September 2016

Julie's Satin Triaxial - Blog Ceramique

Glaze testingGlaze testing


This glaze test is for another Blog Céramique triaxial - Julie's Satin Base in green/blue

It's based on a cone 04 satin/matte base glaze recipe, which I think is based on the popular Jackie's Base glaze found around the net - the ingredients are similar - but this has added Calcium Carbonate (as an opacifier?) and different ratios. I used it on Keane's Earthenware 37 fired in my home kiln, an old Ward.

I mixed this one at home and fired it with a mixed firing of bisque and glazed pieces. One of the benefits of firing to cone 04 is being able to mix loads.

I had problems with reaching temperature as I had the controller programmed wrong and the kiln turned off too early before the cone had bent. Took another hour of fiddling with the controller to get it melted.

I don't think I did slow cool on this firing but it sort of had a soak due to the mistake.

The only substitution is Eckalite 2 for EPK which is unavailable here.

While I had the base mixed I did some extra experiments with cobalt, light blue stain and rutile.

Julie's Satin Base

17    Calcium carbonate
27    Gerstley borate
7      Lithium carbonate
4      Nepheline syenite
11    Eckalite 2 (my substitute for EPK)
34    Silica

In the Triaxial
A was the base glaze,
B was 3.5% Copper carbonate
C was 1% Chrome Oxide

Results

I think I might have made the colour too strong too, I can't remember if I divided the amounts into thirds or just put the whole amount in each corner.

As it is the chrome seems unmelted and has taken on a rough burnt looking texture where it is most concentrated. The colours certainly look different to the sample tests on the BC blog.

Also the glaze has crazed in its base form and on some of the copper side.

I love the finish of this one though and will try to reformulate it to fix the crazing. Has a lovely thick buttery matte texture.

No comments :

Post a Comment